Effin' Sweet

Welcome to Your Life, There's No Turning Back...

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

It's About Time!

Hey folks,
Once more, I come to you, blogging furiously through the nigh-unwadeable web, determined to drop my brain nuggets on you, the unwary, innocent internet surfer. Well, that actually cannot be true, because you have to come here to read this. So this is more of a "Welcome Back," O Curious One.

Why a new blog? Why "Effin' Sweet"? Why bother? Good questions, all. And the short answer to all three: "Because." Naw, that didn't work with my third grade students, so it sure as heck wouldn't work with you guys.

No, I really wanted to start over on a new blog as a way of starting over. I was getting the feeling that my old blog was becoming a sort of virtual spittoon for daily gripes and whinings. And I don't want people to think of me as a whiner. Not this guy. No thanks.

"Effin' Sweet"?! What's that all about? Well, first off, as many of you know, I'm a bit prudish when it comes to using the "F" Or, for that matter, the "S," "A," "D," and "M" for that matter. ("M"? It means "masticate".... look it up!) Of course, I wasn't so afraid to use the big-bad "C," which was fairly historic, I think it's safe to say. But that of course backs up why I wanted to start fresh. But I digress. "Effin' Sweet" is taken from Dave Chappelle in his classic comedy special, "Killin' Them Softly." He's talking about how anti-black racism can sometimes work out in your favor. To quote him more or less: "Now, it doesn't happen too often, but when it does... It's f*cking SWEET." He delivers this line so well... a blog paraphrase can barely do it justice. If you haven't seen it, go out and rent it. Or ask to either watch it with me, or borrow it from me, since I own it on DVD.

So, I thought "Effin' Sweet" would make a cool new name for my blog. Much better than "As My Brain Decays," which, in hindsight, sounds sort of depressing... don't you think?

Why bother? I dunno. To touch upon a theme I brought up once or twice back on That Other Blog (TOB), I always was enamored with having my own website... even a pre-fab blog set up by a some umbrella service. True, I'd love to make little videos and cartoons, and top-ten lists, and hilarious reviews, and links to other wacky websites, and all that jazz... and funk... and so forth. But alas, I don't have 40 hours of daily free time or any useful knowledge of programming whatsoever... so I'll just make do with this.

And that's... okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home