Effin' Sweet

Welcome to Your Life, There's No Turning Back...

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Random Musings

Maybe I was a little too preachy last time.

I'm willing to admit it. I get on a roll, and suddenly I'm spouting Hallmark Card platitudes and "Can't We All Just Get Along"-isms. I get my Irish up and out comes the fire and brimstone. My feedback question last time was, "So am I off my rocker or what?" To which Chris and Jim answered quite succinctly, "Yes, you are."

So, I'll keep the sermons to a minimum in the future.

It's funny though, because aside from summaries of events in my life, rants seem to be a natural fit for blogs. It's not like I have time to imagine up some clever little skits or anything... (and I don't have time to be blogging, either... and yet I do. (But sleep is overrated.))

After a conversation with Jimmy back on Sunday, I got a couple of blog ideas for the future (ie: after my next exam, December 21st) such as an end of the year wrap-up, honorary awards for my favorite blogs, and possibly a new feature, "Tom's Book of the Dead," which ultimately I hope will be merely a mini-series, rather than an ongoing feature, relating past friendships that have gone to the crapper, and how it all hilariously ended! But I'm sure after my test, and I'm full of holiday cheer... I'll think better of it and go back to soapbox ravings...

Nerds, Assemble! Gather forth your black trenchcoats and 12-sided die... it's time for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! In spite of myself, I'm excited. (Okay, it's not in spite of myself, I always love movies like this). But can you blame me? We had three great holiday seasons, back, to back, to back, with the Lord of the Rings. Last Christmas sucked... in at least the "Mythical, Epic Story Movie" category. Last year, the best we got was Pixar's The Incredibles. Which was a great movie... but certainly not in the same vein as the Lord of the Rings. In addition to family gatherings, peace on earth, and good will toward men, is it so wrong to demand axe-wielding minotaurs battling spear-chucking centaurs as part of my Holiday experience? I ask for so little. I will quite happily share my movie review sometime this weekend, as I intend on seeing it opening night, this Friday.

And while we're on the subject of new movies... will the 50,000 pound gorilla please stand up?
Oh baby. Oh baby, oh. I cannot wait to see this flick. I'm not sure if I want to see it opening weekend, or hold off until the night of my exam, as a celebration. While seeing a flick on a Wednesday night will be a bit tough for some people to join me for, watching Kong kick dino-ass might be just what the doctor ordered after another killer med school test. Catharsis, I love you so. It's a perfect recipe for sweet awesomeness: Peter Jackson + New York City + Jack Black = Oh Baby, This Rocks. Seriously. The math doesn't lie.

It's become pretty clear that Jack Black is the greatest man in history since Jesus. He knows it. So do we. Even though it looks like Jables is trying to pull a Jim Carrey in Kong, playing it straight, toning down his wacky mannerisms, he'll still add his unique flavor to the flick. Adrien Brody is a fantastic actor, as is Naomi Watts. Throw the classic story together in the Depression-era New York City, with Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson at the helm, along with an army of digital artists that make George Lucas a wee bit jealous... and King Kong is a can't-miss hit. Even Tom Hanks' son is in it, Colin. (And FYI, according to the imdb website, Colin Hanks was the runner up to Hayden Christensen to play Anakin Skywalker in Clones and Sith... "What if..." indeed!)

To wrap up, I'm pretty excited about this summer, what with X-Men 3 coming out... the stupid trailer doesn't work on the apple website... but I heard it'll be coming attraction before King Kong, so it's all good. You can check out pictures of the characters, including new additions Juggernaut (sans helmet, hopefully he'll get it for the movie), Beast (in all his blue furry goodness), Callisto, Kitty Pryde, and Angel (feathered wings, and all!), here... and here. Oh yes, what else is coming up this summer.... oh right! My wedding! (Which reminds me, I should update that other blog...)

Feedback Question of the Day:
"What are you looking forward to most, this holiday season?"

2 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Blogger Chris said...

King Kong, Cronicles, your party, and gifts.

I'm easy to please!

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a certain new years party

 

Post a Comment

<< Home