Effin' Sweet

Welcome to Your Life, There's No Turning Back...

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Never a Dull Moment


Back when I was six, if this picture is accurate, I apparently liked to lurk in strangers' bathrooms and wait for them to come in before jumping up and screaming, "PEACE!"and then cackling like a madman. I... was a troubled child.Posted by Hello

Oh, what a difference a couple of days makes. Since my last entry, I've seen Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, went on a hike through abandoned military sites, visited the mall twice, and had some buffalo wings. The Tom Train just keeps on a'rollin. Better jump now, if you can't keep up!

Uh, yeah.

The Inevitable Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Review

First, a little backstory. Last time, I was sort of crowing about how I got sneak preview tickets for Episode III a day early. Turns out, I was both wrong and right. I was right about having tickets for a show that was to be shown a full 24 hours before the scheduled premiere. I was wrong about the show actually happening. Apparently, in Lynbrook (the theater I saw the flick in) has not been clued in about that magical thing called "Midnight." The date transition between 11:59 PM into 12:00 AM seemed to mystify the employees that printed out said tickets for 12:01 AM Wednesday. Anyone, I would think, with even the most basic appreciation for chronology would understand that to go to see a movie shown at 12:01 AM on Wednesday, would plan on going Tuesday night, say... around 11:30 PM to ensure good seats. Yes. Well, no. Not in Lynbrook, supposedly. In Lynbrook, where time and space are wholly different from the rest of creation, a ticket that reads, "12:01 AM Wednesday" really means 12:01 AM Thursday, AKA "Wednesday Night." Long story short: Ticket Printers Screwed Up.

So, after a heroic, high-speed dash from Roslyn to Lynbrook, Tuesday night (a wiiiiide circular drive that took us from the LIE, to the Meadowbrook, to Merrick Road... and a looong drive west) my co-worker and I made it to the theater by the skin of our teeth, 11:55. Eh, it didn't matter, that I lost a hubcap or two... and that old lady shouldn't have been in that intersection in the first place... because we made it in time to see Star Wars! Yeah!

My good buddy, Chris, the man responsible for getting the tickets (well, actually, his brother Danny is ultimately responsible, but he wasn't there at the time) walked over to us in the parking lot with that, "Uh oh, something bad happened," sorta expression on his face. Being guys, this is usually followed by the, "just kidding, just bustin' your balls" smile.

But, it was not so. And my balls? Not busted.

He told us about the mix-up. We then comisserated in the theater parking lot for a little while and watched our fellow nerds walk up to the box office all excited, only to be seen several moments later all dejected and full of piss and vinegar. And Taco Bell.

No big whoop. It sorta added a little fun to the whole thing, an interesting little footnote to one of the best cinematic experiences of my life.

Revenge of the Sith?

In-farging-credible.

After seeing this movie, I only have one question for the genius who is Mr. George Lucas.

"Why've you been holding out on us?" I ask, because the absolute joy of this flick.. the soaring, operatic majesty of this film has washed the unpleasant mung of Jar Jar out of my mouth forever and always.

This movie is greatness. I really can't go into the details too much, as I'm sure there are many out there who haven't seen it, yet (well, maybe not that many... did you see the opening weekend sales figures yet? I think EVERYONE might have gone to see this!) What I can say is this: Lucas pulled out all the stops. The cheesy, too-bright colors and meandering plots of Episodes I and II have given way to excellent usage of shadow and light... and is fueled by a juggernaut of a story that simply does not let up for a moment.

More than anything else, it bridges the two trilogies into what really and essentially is one single story. However, in doing so, the 6-Part storyline is really more about Darth than Luke, ultimately.

That's all I have to say. If you want to have a fun 2 hours in the theater this summer, go see this flick.

Check out this great little movie about where George Lucas came up with all his ideas!

Storming the Beach: Our Hike Through Sandy Hook, New Jersey

Thanks to the goof on Lynbrook's part, I was able to get up early Wednesday morning to join Ally for another hike. This one was found in a small spit of land off the coast of Jersey, called Sandy Hook. It was a 10-mile march that encompassed slogging through sand, brushing through jungle-like forests, skirting past abandoned military installations, and clambering along shipyard ruins.

This was a fun day!

I would be willing to do this hike again with whoever's interested, just for the record. Where else can you get some sun and then pose for pictures next to World War II-era bunkers and pillboxes? Too bad the Nazis never made it to New Jersey... because the soldiers of Sandy Hook were more than ready for them!

Conveniently, Ally and I didn't encounter any conspiracy theorists this time. After all, not having confrontations with wackos lends itself to having a good time.

Considerations and Consternations

Visiting Roosevelt Field twice in the last week, I've had plenty of time to ponder my appreciation and disdain for Long Island. As I've said on several occasions, "Spending any amount of time in Roosevelt Field Mall reinforces everything I love and hate about Long Island." I was also thinking, amidst my ruminations, about my mentioning of a "sign of the imminent apocalypse" as being butt text for grade school girls' sweatpants. But really, it's not a sign of the apocalypse. I don't really buy into all that "we're going down the tubes" mentality. Fashions come and go, and people don't really change all that much. I think what really is happening is that I'm getting older, and my opinions and perspectives on the world are growing increasingly conservative. Thus, I'm discontinuing the feature, "Signs of the Impending Apocalypse," and re-name it "I'm Turning into a Crotchety Ol' Bastid." That way, I can encapsulate all my virtual cane-waving and wringing-of-hands about the "sad state of the world" into a little, quarantined segment, while not tainting too much of my whimsical anecdotes and insights.

Yay!

Feedback Question of the Day:
"As I've mentioned how I'm turning into a crotchety ol' bastid, have any of you out there had a moment where you realize, 'Wow... I'm starting to turn into an adult!'?"

1 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

at the NIN concert, being in a seat rather than floor seems far nicer on the joints and balls of my feet.

i can feel the rain coming in my left hip, i swear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home