Effin' Sweet

Welcome to Your Life, There's No Turning Back...

Friday, July 29, 2005


"Ozzy! Take off grandma's blouse before she sees you in it! And is that... her rouge you're wearing?! I mean, it accentuates your cheeks, but... "

Black Sabbath's performance, was nothing short of sublime. I haven't experienced the same ecstatic concert exhiliration since I had seen Metallica for the first time in '97.

The night had finally fallen. The crowds had blanketed the surrounding hillside, everyone on their feet. Suddenly, Ozzy's voice screams over the PA, "Let's go crazy! Let me hear you!"

Exploding in cheering, the bass lines to "N.I.B." come thudding across the crowd.

"OH YEAH!"

The moment that truly encapsulated the night was "War Pigs." My meager words cannot convey what it was like to be standing amongst over 15,000 people, assembled throughout the ampitheatre on a hilltop, reciting together, "Generals gathered in their masses.....!"

"OH LORD, YEAH!"

In ecstatic abandon, I listened intently, as Black Sabbath went through their set, playing such classics as "Dirty Women," "Electric Funeral," and "Iron Man" in which Tony Iommi basically melted my face with his blistering solos. That man is a virtuoso.

They finished with "Paranoid" and then returned for an encore with "Children of the Grave."

And it was everything I thought it'd be.

And if I never see another concert in my life... I'll never have a regret.

Thank you, Ozzy. Thank you, Tony. Thank you, Geezer. And thank you, Charlie.

I'm looking forward to doing it again.