Effin' Sweet

Welcome to Your Life, There's No Turning Back...

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gone Huntin'

"By Jove! A sixty-thousand-a-year job with bonuses and two week paid vacation!"

Hey guys! I'm back again. I'll have to keep in mind while I'm typing this that a whole lot of time and events have passed since I blogged the last time. Well, let's see... I got married, had a big party, went on a trip... it's been an eventful August! Needless to say, I will return to these topics at a later date, when I'm in the proper mindset and leisure time to properly blog about them.

Sheesh. Flaming hoops I can deal with.

Ah, this was the blog I was so looking forward to writing. To be fair, I really didn't want to break this news in such an impersonal way. But in the months and weeks leading up to the wedding, I didn't really want to declare - "Hey! Guess what? I decided to quit medical school!" But, alas, it is true. I'm no longer a med student. I will never be prescribe medicine. And pathetically, my witty "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor," t-shirt has become a cruel joke... a never-to-be consummated fashion statement.

I hate to just drop the bomb and move on. It's old news to me - I called it quits back in May, but I didn't really start to share the info until after I returned from the honeymoon, mainly because I didn't want have the "So what are you going to do now?" conversation stealing thunder (and perhaps some happiness) from the wedding event. Certainly, my and Ally's immediate family knew immediately, but beyond them it wasn't exactly broadcasted.

This will most certainly be a topic I'll discuss further in depth at a later date. Believe me - I have plenty to say on the subject - on the lifestyle of doctors, cost of medical school, and where I stand with it all. However, in the here-and-now, I'm far more concerned about finding a job. That oft-frustrating and spirit-crushing pursuit of employment which up until now I have been spared, has occupied my thoughts and energies all summer long. Now that the excitement of the wedding can no longer distract me from this quest, I have given it my full attention.

This past week, I took a break from applying for medical and pharmaceutical sale jobs to pursue a field I'm actually genuinely interested in - the comic book industry. After a block party epiphany, I aggressively sought positions at Marvel, DC Comics, and Wizard Magazine. And to my astonishment and unfettered excitement, Wizard responded immediately. I was contacted the day after applying for a Production Assistant position by the Production Director at Wizard Entertainment (the company that produces Wizard Magazine, Toyfare Magazine, Shonen Jump, etc.). "Could you come in for an interview?" he asks. "I most certainly can," I respond.

One catch.

Wizard Entertainment is not located on Long Island. Nor is it located on Manhattan Island or any of the five boroughs. Nay, Wizard Entertainment is located in a lovely little hamlet called Congers, a mere forty minute drive and two bridge crossings away from my apartment in Queens.

I go to the interview anyway, despite my misgivings about the distance (hoping against hope that the salary will balance it out). Walking into the Wizard Entertainment lobby confirmed everything I dreamed it would be - big comfy couches, pinball machines, a foosball table, and floor-to-ceiling decorations featuring comic book heroes. I was in heaven. The atmosphere was laid back, collegial, with employees sauntering around in t-shirts and jeans. Of course, I looked like a big nerd with suit and tie interview outfit on. I met the Production Director and we had a great conversation ("He likes me," I think.) Gravely, however, he explained that the entry-level position did not offer a whole lot of money. And although the position offered the opportunity to have a foot in the door of the industry, with future prospective networking with comic book and other publishing companies, it simply didn't seem like a practical career move at this stage in the game. Needless to say, the drive home was decidedly grim.

Ever have to turn down your dream job?

I googled "thumbs down" and got this. Seems appropriate.

As I've said on numerous occasions in the past, I don't want this blog to be a forum for me to whine. And if I've dallied a little too closely to on the border between "sharing bad news" and "whining," I apologize. But down in the dumps am I, and this is what happens when you blog sad.

Moreover, I wanted to both update you on my life, as well as explain why I won't be blogging too much in the immediate future. If I happen to find a sweet 9-to-5'er working in Advertising, Publishing, Marketing, Sales, Public Relations, or whatever... I may just be a little more regular. Think of stable employment as the fiber of blogging digestive tract. A tad gross, but nonetheless accurate. Should you have any job leads in any of those fields... or if you know of any jobs you think I might be good at, you know how to get in touch with me!

3 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Chris said...

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/civilservice/5002ann.html

FUCKING DO IT!

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, a certain korean needs some job-lovin as well in graphic design, publishing, magazine/newspaper industry...

please .. :)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Maggie said...

It's about freakin' time! I've had more blog entries than you in the past few weeks. That's a scary thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home