Effin' Sweet

Welcome to Your Life, There's No Turning Back...

Tuesday, June 28, 2005


The following statement is entirely accurate: I Love Metallica! Metallica is awesome! Disagree? Who cares?

There was never a man alive who loved a lively debate more than me.

Uh, no.

Actually, I run screaming like a Brownie Scout from any trace, rumbling, or inkling of confrontration, disagreement, or altercation.

Though I possess my own firmly-held beliefs in this ever-increasingly marginalized political and moral atmosphere that we live in, I have no desire to push them on anyone else, or to try to change anyone else's mind. Debate can be good, when engaged in thoughtfully and respectfully, in bringing clarity to certain subjects.

However, there are certain subjects, like art, whose absolute value cannot logically or reasonably be argued or debated. By art, I mean that which has no practical use other than to entertain. This would include paintings and drawings, sculpture, books, movies, theater, music, and television. I suppose there are myriad other forms of art that can be mentioned, but I know I'm already losing some of you ("...maybe it's time to get back to work," you're thinking) and there's a point I'm trying to get at.

One painting is not objectively better than another. Nor is one song better than another song based on some universal value-system of goodness. Art is subjective. Art's value is found in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. Some people think Leonardo Da Vinci was the greatest painter ever, some think it's Pollack. Some people love Justin Timberlake, and some people, Marilyn Manson. Who's right? They all are. If you personally like something, who's anyone to say that you're wrong to like it? Can a song's value really be debated? All that can be objectively declared is the "success, or popularity" of a form of art. But just because something is popular or made a lot of money, does not affect your personal appreciation of it. Have you ever heard someone say, "Oh, well, when you put it that way, I guess the song really sucks, after all. I wonder why I liked it in the first place?" One cannot be persuaded not to like a certain form of art.

Art is personal. It's something that strikes you. And it becomes a personal thing to you, something that reflects on you. Many people even define themselves by the art which entertains them. "I'm really into Michelangelo" "I'm really into Dr. Dre." "Polka is my life!"

So my gripe, which is something I never got around to in a previous blog entry, is the irritating people that come around and start bashing stuff I happen to like. I went to see Star Wars, Episode III the very night it opened. And the very next day, I had to listen to nerds complaining about it. Screw you guys, I liked it. Does that make it "good"? No, because no movie can be determined to be good, because it's all a matter of opinion. And if your opinion of a certain movie or song happens to drastically differ from mine, then I don't want to hear it!

Honestly, why people feel the need to play critic is beyond me. Whenever the subject comes up in regards to a movie, or band, or show that I don't happen to like comes up, I always preface my possible denouncing by asking what others thought of it. If someone likes it, I keep my mouth shut. What kind of jerk bashes something that brings joy to another? What did Mom always say? "Shut Up!"? No, the other thing, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Which is a good piece of advice... for chatting about the merits of Everybody Loves Raymond... and not such great advice if you're a political activist. But you see what I mean. Don't rain on my parade, people!

Most of the time, these parade rainers do so unwittingly. But then there are some that feel the compulsion to press on with their diatribe after I or someone else voices a different, favorable opinion.

Me: "Metallica is my favoritest band ever!"
Parade Rainer: "Metallica f*cking sucks!"
Verdict: Guess what? You suck. Seriously, what are you doing, trying to change my mind, or something? "Oh right, they do suck! What was I thinking?" Uh, no. The only opinion you're changing is the one I have for you. It shows that you're insensitive and purposely contrary.

I really can't stand purposely contrary people. They get their jollies by sowing discord. And that's really not nice.

Me: "Batman Begins was fantastic!"
Parade Rainer: "The new Batman movie was the gayest thing I ever saw!"
Verdict: You know, you're right... I never realized how gay it was until you brought it up. It was the gayest thing since pink bike seats. Thanks for enlightening me. Those are two hours I'll never get back... Uh, nope again.

I've found that the nay-sayers for both Batman Begins, and Star Wars Episode III also happen to be the same people who went to go see them opening night. Why be so eager to watch something only to tear it down? I think a lot of people can only feel good about themselves if they're criticizing something. In the case of a movie, especially a fantasy film, involving a guy who dresses up like a winged mammal and fights bad guys, or involving spaceships and people in brown robes dueling with laser swords, you go because you want to give yourself over to the experience, to lose yourself in the story. If you're hanging back, snickering over a bit of dialogue or a piece of special effects, then you're completely missing the point of the movie experience. And then you go out after it's over and put down something others really enjoyed. What's your problem, guys?

This is, of course, not to say that I don't have my standards. There've been movies that have disappointed me... but I'm not going to start bashing it until I know that everyone present also disliked it.

Also, maybe I'm only speaking for myself. There are many others, I'm sure, that don't take things like a movie or a music band so personally, and can quite easily listen to dissent without getting defensive. But I've always taken criticism of something I liked, like a TV show, or movie, to heart, and it always bothered me. So I've grown to be sensitive (maybe even over-sensitive) about the subject.

But I'll never rain on anyone's parade. I promise you!

And here is a link which holds videos that does exactly what I've been complaining about "You Have Bad Taste In Music" (Pretty funny, though.) Thus, this article has now been rendered meaningless.

Feedback Question of the Day:
"What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to people's social behavior?"

3 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

people who go to social events like parties and choose not to mingle. gatherings are created to meet new people and there are those who just choose to stick to their specific group and ignore everyone else. not only that but not open up to others too...

not pointing fingers or anything

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who are overly confident in themselves and who try to make everyone they come in contact with feel like they are not as important in this world as they are.

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who run away after you wave to them in the grocery store. Esteban Caliente, how rude!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home