Effin' Sweet

Welcome to Your Life, There's No Turning Back...

Friday, September 16, 2005

What's Next? What's Next?


High above Coldspring, Tom ingeniously puts together three of his favorite things: Hiking, patriotism, and pole dancing!

Three weeks in, and I'm still standing.

Some pieces of wisdom I've grown to understand and acknowledge about medical school...

"There are no shortcuts." Oh yes. These two years are nearly entirely book learning. Classic lecture and written exam-based study. One thing I've realized since starting this is that science is very black-and-white. There's very little in the way of interpretation on exams, either you're right or you're wrong. Back in the day, when I was still in my elementary education program, I pretty much just had to be charming and entertaining when I did my presentation... even if I only spent two hours the night before throwing it together, to get an A. Medical school and it's ilk doesn't necessarily reward the smartest, but the most tenacious and dedicated. This truth I am completely reminded of. So I spend each evening poring over textbooks and photocopied notes trying to absorb it all in. As Jim Grant once so eloquently put it, "... it's like trying to drink from the firehose."

"Medical School is a lifestyle." Also very true, as I no longer see days split into "time at work," and "free time," now it's merely a seemingly never-ending schedule of study blocs. This science stuff messes with you, because you never quite feel you've gotten it all. You really are never "done" studying. Thankfully, after my first test (October 7th) I'll have a weekend to just veg out... so party on the 8th, people!